The majority of people are a big fan of hotel bedding and nothing makes you happier than getting up in a hotel bed. The sheets and everything about it feels so cozy and warm because of the quality of sheets and duvets covers. Shouldn’t you wake up like that every day? Yes you can! Spending money on a good mattress and a comfy bed is not enough unless you have a right duvet cover to up your bed game. It can make a huge difference on your sleep quality and will make your bed irresistible at any time of the day.
A bed is a focal point of your room and choosing the right duvet cover is as important as choosing the right mattress. Having the best duvet cover cannot only improve your sleep quality but also beautify the décor and overall look of your room. When you invest in an expensive duvet, you want to make it look stylish with a nice collection of high quality and breathable duvet covers with more of a crisp look and linen feel so you can change the entire look of your room whenever the mood strikes. So, what’s not to love about a duvet!
There are tons of duvet cover options available which makes it hard to know what cover suits the best to your need. Olivia Rocco was built to deliver the best designer bedding products at a reasonable price that has no bearing on quality. Our motto is creating a bed of your dreams you can slip in after a long tiring day. Our dreamy-soft duvet covers made for the most stunning bedscape are exactly what you are looking for. Made with the finest quality fabric these duvet covers are hyper durable, pliable, and primed to age beautifully.
In this duvet cover guide, we’ll share all the information you need so you can pick the right duvet cover for your bedroom next time. Let’s dive into it!
What is a Duvet Cover?
Duvet covers are one of the most common bedding items. It is just like any other cover but made for duvets. It slips over a duvet and works as a protective covering. It has two separate pieces, the insert, and the cover. The insert is like a flat bag which is filled with synthetic fibers, feather or wool and fits in the cover like a pillow fit in the pillowcase. You can put the insert in the cover, buttoned it up, and put it right on your bed. Duvet covers not only add appeal, colours, and style to your room but also helps to keep your duvet or comforter cleans and cozy. Duvet covers are generally not that expensive, easily washable to keep your bedding clean and easy to switch.
Is it Duvet or Comforter?
The majority of people confuse duvet covers with comforter covers and especially when trying to buy the right bedding. If you are also one of those, don’t worry we are here to sort this issue once and for all! Here you go…
Difference Between Duvet and Comforter
There is a common fallacy about duvets and comforters that both of these are the different names of the same thing. If you also have trouble telling the difference between these two bedding essentials, you are not alone. Both have so many things in common, like having super plush quilts, typically filled with down feathers or synthetic fibers, in case of Casper duvet is filled with ethically sourced down fibers. Both comforter and duvets usually feature a sewn-through pattern designed to keep the fill evenly distributed throughout the quill. There are also some subtle differences that you might notice like with duvets features more fill power which gives them a fluffier and bit more of poufy look whereas comforters have a little bit less fill power typically which makes them less fluffy but they are also generally larger and offer a bit more hangover on the bed. But the main difference between both is that a comforter is a one piece of bedding that’s ready to go out right out of the bag but a duvet is designed to go inside a duvet cover.
The differences are pretty clear between duvet and comforter. Unlike a duvet, the comforter is one piece of bedding ready to go right out of the package. It is filled with synthetic fibers and can be used without any cover. It is thick and fluffy, covered with durable fabric, and usually quilted so the filling is evenly spread throughout the comforter. They are especially great for winters.
Pros and Cons of Duvets
- It is super easy to switch up the style because duvet cover is removable and anytime you want to spruce up the look and feel of your bedroom, all you have to do is get a new duvet cover, there is no need to sink money into another brand new comforter or a duvet or a brand new piece of bedding.
- Secondly, duvet covers are way less expensive than the duvet itself you can have a collection of duvet covers to switch it whenever you feel like changing the appearance of your bedroom.
- A lot of folks who sleep with the duvet choose to take their sheet out of the mix completely which is known as sleeping European style. The removal of one piece of bedding actually makes the bed making the process a lot easier because you can just throw you duvet on the top of your mattress and call it a night.
- The Duvet covers are removable which makes the duvet easier to wash. You get the protective outer layer that’s keeping your duvet insert nice and clean, protected from the outside elements and when you want to wash it, you can wash it with the rest of your bedding in the washing machine.
- Getting the duvet insert inside of the duvet cover can be a little bit challenging and it is certainly not as easy as throwing comforter on the top of your mattress.
- Moreover, if you want to have an easier time with changing it out over the seasons, like to put on for Christmas time, something for the holiday season or something for the fall, it can be easily replaced in minutes.
- Bedspreads are limited in stock because of bed height and mattress variations, whereas, duvet covers have a wide variety of options for every bed and mattress size.
- People often complain about the duvet that while sleeping it kinds of lump up which feels uncomfortable. It happens because some duvets don’t have a sewn-in quilt, so the fill is not evenly distributed evenly within the duvet which makes it cumbersome to get it properly aligned.
If you like making your bed duvet is definitely a way to go. You can put it right on the bed with just a bottom sheet and a couple of pillows.
Duvet Cover Sizes
Finding the right size for your duvet is equally important. In the UK six standard duvet sizes corresponding to different mattress sizes. If you are a cold sleeper, opt for the next size up from your mattress size so your duvet flows over the edges to keep warm air in and any wafts out. The main duvet cover size options available are:
Cot bed: 120cm x 150 cm
Single: 135cm x 200cm
Double: 200cm x 200cm
King: 230cm x 220cm
Super-king: 260cmx 220cm
Emperor Size: 290cmx 235cm
Choose the duvet cover with hidden button closures, not zippers because they mostly jam. A hidden-button closure is given on the underside of the duvet to give a more neat, nice, and finished look.
Recommendations to Buy a Duvet Cover
When it comes to buying a duvet cover, there are a couple of things you should consider before purchasing:
- First of all, duvet covers should be made of lightweight fabrics that are easily washable. Cotton fabrics that can be washed at home make the cleaning process a much convenient and quick process without having to visit dry cleaners.
- Most people are impressed with silk fabric because they look and feel luxurious. However, silk snags may look wonderful but they are quite impractical and expensive.
- Don’t forget the weight and texture when buying duvet covers. Heavy texture may add a decorative appeal to the duvet cover but it will also increase the weight as much as 20 pounds, compressing the air inside and raise the temperature inside. On the other hand, cotton fabric is breathable and weighs only a few pounds which is ideal for the people who don’t like sleeping under so much weight. So always look for duvets covers made of sheet-weight fabrics.
- In addition to that choose the duvet cover that has some flanges on it because all popular mattresses are super thick and a duvet cover without flanges would not fit your mattress.
Best Duvet Covers for Different Seasons
A duvet cover can enhance the ambiance of your entire room if selected aptly. As the season changes, you can update your bedding by changing the duvet cover to compliment the look of your bedroom. Add seasonal colors and textures to give your room a bright, spacious, and cheery feel.
With the start of spring, you can give your room a spring bedroom refresh. As the snow melts pack away the dark and heavy covers and replace them with light and airy fabric like a parcel. Parcel fabric gives that crisp feeling along with cool touch to keep you cool on hot nights and it is also easy to wash. Go for the soft colours like pastels and beiges, it will give a nice and refreshing feel to your room to celebrate the return of most awaited weather.
As the weather heats up, Egyptian cotton is the best fabric option for your duvet cover. It is extremely breathable, soft, and lightweight fabric and absorbs moisture and avoid overheating. The weave of the fabric lasts longer than regular cotton and keeps you cool while sleeping. Choose duvet cover with white tones to make your room look bright and spacious. Another choice is a polyester cotton blend. It is wrinkle-resistant and excellent for summers because of soft texture, and convenient washing.
During the fall season, a warm microfibre duvet cover for alternating chilly nights is an ideal choice. These covers are best for trapping the heat under the covers. This material requires simple washing and easy to manage. Pick colors such as brown, dark green, beige, and burgundy to add a seasonal look to your room.
A flannel duvet cover is a perfect choice to keep you snug in the colder months ahead. The construction of this fabric provides effective insulation and keeps you toasty warm and comfortable all night. You can choose between solid colors, floral patterns, classic plaids, and much more whatever suits your needs. It is machine washable and soft to the skin.