If you're like many people around the globe, 2020 changed the way you live, work, and play. You're probably spending more time at home, which means that it's a great time to invest in upgrades. With a few DIY and professional projects, you can create a space that promotes relaxation, health, and happiness.
Ways to Create a Healthier Home and Boost Its Value
Your home plays a big role in your mental and physical wellness — especially when it doubles as your office, gym, and entertainment space. If you're looking to feel better and get healthier, start with your environment. You might be surprised at how small improvements can elevate your quality of life. Are you thinking about selling your home? Choose upgrades that are attractive to buyers; they'll increase your home's value and enable a faster sale. As you renovate, document each project with photos, and make sure to save receipts and invoices.
DIY Ways to Revive Your Home
When you're on a budget, DIY upgrades can refresh your space without breaking the bank.
- Add green plants. Living plants help remove pollutants from the air; they can also improve your mood and brighten any room.
- Install an air purifier. Get rid of allergens, irritants, and odors with a compact air purifier.
- Remove clutter. Organize your home, and toss or donate excess items. This strategy reduces anxiety and prevents dust buildup.
- Separate work and relaxation areas. Use screens, doors, or tall plants to create a visual distinction between spaces.
- Enhance your bedroom. Create the perfect sleeping sanctuary with new duvet covers, sheets, and pillow cases from OLIVIA ROCCO.
Home Improvements That Require a Professional
Anytime you want to do a project that requires wiring or construction, it's important to bring in a professional. They'll ensure that the work is up to code — that way, you'll stay safe, and future buyers can rest assured that all upgrades are legal. Some examples:
- Increase natural light. Install a window or skylight to create a brighter, happier interior.
- Improve ventilation. Add vents and fans to ensure a steady flow of fresh air; it reduces condensation that causes mold and mildew.
- Add an office space. Build a separate home office for a better work-life balance — even when you're working from home.
- Install storage organizers. Shelves, racks, and bins maximize your storage space and reduce clutter.
If you're interested in adding a gym or lounge space, your basement is the ideal spot. A DIY project can save money, but an experienced contractor can provide hassle-free, top-quality work. Prices can vary considerably based on your city, specific building materials, and the scope of the project.
Update Your Outdoor Space
Outdoor space is essential when you're staying close to home. Ways to upgrade your yard:
- Add tables and chairs. Comfortable furniture makes outdoor living more enticing.
- Create privacy. A fence, hedge, or trellis helps block the view.
- Fertilize your lawn. Does your lawn have brown spots? Work with a local lawn care service to fertilize your grass and beautify your yard.
Refresh Your Home
When your home is designed for wellness and happiness, you'll relish spending time indoors. Get started today to improve your space and increase the property value.